Getting ready for school or getting ready to go to bed can be a lengthy and frustrating process if your child is not a huge fan of brushing their teeth.
But how can we encourage our kids to brush their teeth without the routine turning into a battleground?
The Tindale Dental Centre team have learnt that children have different reasons for not wanting to brush their teeth. Younger ones may not be used to it, they might be growing teeth and have sensitive gums, they may not have established a great technique yet or the experience is just uncomfortable for them.
Our advice at Tindale Dental Centre in Penrith is to make ‘brushing your teeth’ a fun experience.
Here are some tips to help ease the twice-daily drama and frustration:
- Get a new toothbrush. Start with a clean slate and involve the child in the selection process. Picking their own toothbrush may make the child feel more invested in the process and having their favourite colour, or cartoon character on the toothbrush might have them smiling each morning and night.
- Choose the ‘right’ toothpaste – there are age appropriate options on the market and different styles and flavours. If your dilemma lies with ‘I don’t like the taste of the toothpaste’, a change of brand/flavour/style might be a quick and easy solution.
- Explain why we all need to brush our teeth – make your explanation simple and age appropriate. Our team of experienced dentists at Tindale Dental are always happy to reinforce these messages at your child’s regular check up appointments.
- Show them how it’s done. Be an example for your little ones and show them how to brush their teeth, how long to brush and how clean they are once you are done. Make it a family experience and part of everyone’s routine.
- Introduce a rewards system – there are many ways to do this and rewards can be as simple as stickers or a visit to the local park. Tailor your system to suit your child and rewards that you are comfortable with.
- Take advantage of technology and make it fun. Use a novelty two minute video, song, or timer to play while your child in brushing and 2 minutes will fly by!
To alleviate your health concerns, we always advise seeking professional advice and treatment from your doctor or dentist. The team of qualified dentists at Tindale Dental Centre in Penrith are on hand to help encourage our youngest patients in the correct ways of brushing and flossing as well as to introduce them to the regular routine of dental check ups. Contact our reception team on (02) 4726 5400 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.